Behind everything we buy there is a story of people, animals, places and processes. Being aware of this can help us make ethical shopping choices to buy local, organic, sustainable and fair-trade. Every dollar we spend affects the planet and its people. Here are some resources to help you shop ethically:
1. Grow Your Own Fruit, Vegetables and Herbs
This is the tastiest, healthiest, most sustainable food you can eat. If your garden is too small or too shady, join a community garden in your area:
- The Old School Community Garden 100 Old Mt Barker Rd Stirling, email@example.com and on facebook. Vegetable beds, fruit trees, children’s play group. Gardening Sessions: 1st Wed 9.30-12.30, 2nd Sun 9-12, 4th Playgroup 2nd Wed and 4th Tues 9.45-11.45
- Duck Flat Community Garden Wellington Rd Mt Barker. Tess Minette 83931727 (Mon & Wed). Vegetable beds, fruit trees, art works, meeting and working spaces and children’s garden.
2. Share Your Produce
- Adelaide Hills Produce Swap at the Locavore 1/49 Mt Barker Rd Stirling, on facebook, 1st Sat 3-4
- Hills Harvest Exchange at 1 Crescent Dr Norton Summit, www.ahnrc.wordpress.com, Val Hunt 83901891 (Tues & Thurs). 1st Sat 10-12
- Lobethal Produce Share at Conference Centre Bushland Park Gumeracha Rd Lobethal, 1st & 3rd Sat 10-12.
3. Join a Food Co-op
- Aldgate Valley Organic Food Co-op Community Hall Nation Ridge Rd Aldgate, A programme of the Hut Community Centre, www.thehut.org.au, 83394400.
- Every Fri 10.30-11.30. Certified organic fruit and vegetables, bulk organic goods, organic tinned and packaged goods, personal care and cleaning goods.
4. Join an Organic Box Scheme
- The Seasonal Garden Café 81 Mt Barker Rd Hahndorf has a produce box scheme. See the facebook page or ring 83887714 for more details.
5. Shop at a Farmers Market
- Adelaide Hills Farmers Market 23 Mann St Mt Barker, www.ahfm.org.au and on facebook. Every Sat 8.30-12.30.
- Mt Pleasant Farmers Market Showgrounds Melrose St Mt Pleasant www.mpfm.org.au and on facebook. Every Sat 8-12.
6. Shop at a Hills Market
- Macclesfield: Village Market every Sun 9.30-3
- Uraidla: Hills Producers Market 1st and 3rd Sun 10-3
- Echunga: 1st Sat 7.30-12
- Mylor: 1st Sun 9-3
- Gumeracha: 3rd Sun 10-4
- Stirling: 4th Sun 10-4
- Hahndorf: 4th Sat 8.30-1
- Wistow: 3rd Sat 8-1
- Littlehampton: 2nd Sat 8-12.30
- Woodside: 1st Sun 7-12.30
7. Shop at an Organic Retailer
- The Organic Market and Café 5 Druid Ave Stirling www.organicmarket.com.au and on facebook.
- All Seasons Organic Wholefoods Wellington Rd Mt Barker (on facebook)
- Bridgewater Greengrocer 397 Mt Barker Rd, Bridgewater (on facebook)
8. Search Ethical Shopping Websites
- www.ethical.org.au: sustainable shopping information
- www.sustainabletable.org: sustainable shopping information
- australianfoodsovereigntyalliance.org: sustainable food systems
- www.ripenear.me: sharing excess produce
- www.localharvest.org.au: finding good food near you
- www.orangutans.com.au: palm oil free food
- www.behindthebarcode.org.au: ethical fashion and electronics shopping
We are compiling more lists of sustainable and ethical shopping resources for future release. Please let us know of any other resources you know of via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org or on our Contact Us page.